Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Montevina Terra d'Oro 2004 Zinfandel

Usually I keep to certain regions when buying wine. However, sometimes it's fun to try something new. It is a fun way to discover lesser known values. I actually saw this advertised in Food & Wine magazine (so yes those ads really do work!) and did a little research. It turns out that this particular vineyard is in Amador County, California which is near Sacramento. Since I had not recognized the region I had no preconceptions of how this wine would taste. I purchased this bottle at Target. As a side note, where you buy wine is not terribly important. If a good wine is available at a store like Wal-mart for a reasonable price, then by all means snap it up! Don't be a snob on price! High end wines will not be available at discount stores but you can certainly get some reasonable everyday wines.

Back to this vintage. For starters the color was much lighter than I anticipated based on my previous experience with zinfandel. This suggested that it would be more of a medium variety and less heavy. Usually I like to drink zinfandel with spicy food and I think that this vintage will be fine with those foods as well. I would really suggest trying this wine with pizza. The food won't overpower the wine and vice versa. I also like to drink a medium body wine with Chinese food, and kung pao chicken comes to mind to pair with Terra d'Oro. Overall this is a pretty good wine for the value.

I'll be back in a few days. As always if there are any questions or comments I can be found at thewinedoctor@yahoo.com. Have fun!

No comments: