Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Turner & Cole Cabernet Sauvignon

Since I am the only person in my family who drinks wine, it typically takes me 4 days to go through a bottle. That can be both good and bad, depending on the bottle. I have found that some wines oxidize quickly, leaving the wine tasting sour. Others get gradually better, peaking on day 2 or 3 and remaining good until the bottle has been finished. After opening a bottle I make certain to stop the bottle tightly to limit the amount of oxygen that enters the bottle and comes in contact with the wine. A little bit of oxygen is ok, as it tends to soften the tannins in the bottle. In fact, there are some bottles that I would recommend be allowed to breathe for a period of time. The bottle I am going to talk about today actually was very good straight after the opening.



I just finished a bottle of Turner & Cole 2004 Kamp Ridge cabernet sauvignon which I purchased from a local wine shop. This wine is from the Sonoma Valley appellation. Cabernet sauvignon is possibly my favorite variety of wine, and the Napa/Sonoma area is my favorite region for cabernet. This particular wine is very dark purple and as a result I suspected that it was quite heavy. I was somewhat surprised as it went well with burgers on one night. That would attest to its versatility. As I mentioned the wine was very good on the day it was opened and did not deteriorate over 4 days. The alcohol was noticeable without being overbearing. I liked the wine, and I think that it would benefit from cellaring for a couple of years. Lucky for me that I have another bottle.



If there are any questions or comments, I can be found at thewinedoctor@yahoo.com.

No comments: