Friday, May 2, 2008

Serengeti 2004 Shiraz

Ok, I did something that I rarely do. I bought this bottle for $16 based on 2 things: I like shiraz (aka syrah) and I liked the label on the bottle. What can I say? I'm a lucky person. Oh, I also wanted to try a wine from South Africa. I had been reading reviews that mention South Africa as an up-and-coming wine producing region.

Usually wines that I drink are ok on the first day and improve over the next day or two. This one was awesome from the start. There was a strong boysenberry aroma which faded over the next 2 days. Interestingly, the color had an orange hue as it was poured from the bottle. I have not found a syrah that is orange. I have found a barolo that was orange (I'll post that one later). The taste was awesome, but the first day was the best. This is a good bottle to serve at a party or for guests. The wine is somewhat heavy, so it should be served with heavier dishes. It also worked well with burgers, so it can be versatile. I'll get this one again.

For questions or comments I can be found at thewinedoctor@yahoo.com.

No comments: