Sunday, February 10, 2008

Banner Elk 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon







My family and I recently took a quick trip to the Boone, NC area for a little R&R. Being into wine, I decided to check out any local wineries. Just outside of Boone sits a little sleepy mountain town called Banner Elk. This is a prototypical one-light town between ski resorts. About a mile north of Banner Elk is Banner Elk Winery. Sitting on 9 acres of North Carolina mountain land, Banner Elk Winery makes a small number of wines including chardonnay and cabernet sauvignon. While North Carolina wines won't be confused with California wines, the Banner Elk cab boasts a double gold medal winner at the North Carolina state fair, beating larger vineyards such as Biltmore and Childress. I purchased a bottle for $30 at the winery and took it home.

I wasn't expecting much from this wine, having developed a taste for California cab. For starters, the wine was dark red/purple in color. Not bad for an initial impression. The wine has an aroma of ripe red berries in contrast to the darker fruit of a west coast wine. Over a four day period the wine lasted well, never acquiring a sour taste. The wine paired well with pasta dishes and steak. I would expect that lighter fare, such as pizza, would be fine as well. This was not a bad experience, although I can find better wines for the same or slightly less price.

For any questions or comments please email me at thewinedoctor@yahoo.com.

No comments: