Sunday, February 10, 2008

Rubicon Estates Captain's Reserve 2005 Syrah

I have a friend from San Diego who is a wine fanatic like myself. As we were talking about wine and the Napa area she told me about Francis Coppola estate wines. In particular, she was wild about Rubicon, which she mentioned could only be purchased at the winery. That was not an option for me as I live nowhere near Napa. Fortunately for me, I can use the internet. I decided after visiting the Rubicon website to join their wine club, which consists of quarterly shipments. I recently received my first shipment that included two bottles of the Captain's Reserve 2005 Syrah and one bottle of Captain's Reserve 2005 Zinfandel. Allow me to say that joining this particular club was a fabulous idea.



The wine itself is very dark purple and has an aroma of boysenberries on the nose. The last glass (five days after opening) was just as good as the first meaning that this wine does not oxidize easily. It is excellent now and will likely be excellent in a couple of years. Lucky for me that I have another bottle to find out. Fabulous selection.



Questions or comments? I can be found at thewinedoctor@yahoo.com. Until next time...........

No comments: