Friday, March 14, 2008

Red Knot Syrah 2006

Finally! I made it to my favorite wine store. Like a kid in a candy store, I was choosing bottles left and right. Of course I put most back, but this one seemed interesting. Since my favorite all time wine is from Australia (we'll get to that one later), I decided to try this one. It cost in the $15 range which is a good value to me. From the McLaren Vale in Australia (is that pronounced "valley"?) this was recommended by a member of the "team" at the wine store. I thought alright, I'll give it a try.



This syrah was ok. It was very dark and somewhat subdued. I really couldn't get a read on this wine. It was strong enough to go well with meals like steak or jambalaya, but was unremarkable with other dishes (usually a strong red goes well with spicy Chinese food, but this one didn't do so well). Oh, I almost forgot. The cork was something that I had never seen before. It had a peel off loop, similar to that seen on milk jugs. The cork was plastic and simply pulled out. The nice thing was that it could be easily replaced to save the wine between glasses. I thought that it was pretty cool.



For questions or comments, please email me at thewinedoctor@yahoo.com.

No comments: