Sunday, March 23, 2008

Rubicon Estate 2004 Captain's Reserve Merlot

Ah, yes. The shipment arrived. I have not had a bottle of merlot in some time, basically because I got bored with the varietal. Merlot is a nice wine to drink when you don't want to be wowed or are looking for something safe to drink. Merlot, in my humble opinion, is not going to knock your socks off (assuming that you are wearing socks). Having said that, Rubicon Estates has been very reliable in what I had tasted from them, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. In this shipment (my spring wine club shipment) I received two bottles of Merlot and one bottle of 2004 cabernet sauvignon. I shall be saving the bottle of cabernet for a later date.



For starters, this bottle of merlot was everything that I expected it to be. It was very dark and had a faint aroma of dark berries. I say faint because, as I mentioned previously, merlot is kinda bland for a red. This one is really no different. The wine is good, but bland. I would place merlot just above pinot noir on my priority wine buying list and those would likely be the bottom two. Maybe I just haven't had a REALLY good bottle of merlot or pinot noir. Unfortunately, I likely will not drink a merlot in the near future unless someone like my Mom is visiting or something and I need a safe wine.



For questions and comments email me at thewinedoctor@yahoo.com

No comments: